Wednesday 20 October 2010

Pia Guerra





















A while ago I posted a (frankly, inadequate) drawing I’d submitted to a site calling for designs for a hypothetical Thirteenth Doctor. You can see all the submissions here. The main reason that I actually bothered to contribute though, was this picture. 

I dislike Pia Guerra’s IDW artwork, which, in the (albeit, bits and pieces of) images I’ve seen is in a pseudo-manga, cartoony fanart style. This, however, I think is a fantastic image (and one which bears more than a passing comparison to a similar pen and ink style of the Phil Bevan image I posted at the beginning of the month). 

It’s not even so much the Doctor and companion (Sally Sparrow, I believe) – this Doctor's look and costume is almost supernaturally restrained compared to some of the submissions on the site – but I love the general attention to detail, and the rather gorgeous TARDIS design (which isn't too outré, and has clear links to the Davies-era design, making it easier to imagine being used for real). I particularly like what appear to be its glazed-tile walls and generally subterranean, Tube-station stylings. (Incidentally, the size above doesn’t really do it justice; click for full-size.) Really lovely. 

I might post some more from that thread in future, cos some of them are genuinely surprising or exciting, so keep your eyes peeled.


Next Time: HORROR OF FANG ROCK 

2 comments:

  1. Nice to see the late Phil Bevan mentioned - I miss seeing his art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thanks for commenting. Yeah, there does seem to be very little appreciation of DW-based art at large, but it's particularly sad that Phil Bevan doesn't get his dues. I posted one of his NA preview images here, http://shallwedestroy.blogspot.com/2010/10/phil-bevan.html, but there is very little discussion of his work online.

    Thanks again,
    Neil

    ReplyDelete